Thursday, May 13, 2010

LENA HORNE: Beautiful to the Core


Lena Horne knew beauty. She felt it on the inside, and projected it on the outside. Consistently. She moved from the Cotton Club into the Hollywood studio system (with all the stereotypes they upheld at the time), and yet she had the strength to become the first black performer to sign a long-term contract. I love this quote from the TVOne.com article:

“My identity is clear to me. I am black. I don’t have to be a first. I don’t have to be an imitation of a white woman. I am me.” – Lena Horne

Ms. Horne had not made public appearances in many years, but it's my hope that she lived out the rest of her life in peace and joy.

Click here for more: LENA HORNE FUNERAL DETAILS

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking time to comment, we'll do our best to review and share it with the world!